Home / Uncategorized / Limerick Desmond League Review 15/1/2017

Limerick Desmond League Review 15/1/2017

FAI Umbro Junior Cup 6th Round (extra time & penalties if required).

Abbeyfeale United’s run in the FAI Junior Cup came to an end on Sunday afternoon with a goal in each half for Navan Cosmos being enough for them to pick up the win. Navan were most dominant inside the opening minutes and almost scored early on as Abbeyfeale goalkeeper Billy Quirke rushed out to meet a bouncing ball which went over his head and hit off the upper left post before coming back into his hands. Navan’s great application of pressure in the Abbeyfeale half was rewarded with the opening goal on the 15 minute mark as Donal Callan’s strike took a slight deflection and ended up in the Abbeyfeale net. Abbeyfeale responded well and had the best of chances throughout the game including a narrow miss from Packie O’Connor to equalise in the second half. Navan’s lead was extended late into the second half with a goal against the run of play as Colm Carney twisted and turned in the box to maneuver around the defender before chipping the ball into the net to seal the deal and put his side into the next round of the FAI Junior Cup.

Weekly Observer Premier Division.
A single goal from Keith Hartnett was enough for Rathkeale to pick up their tenth league win in a row against Ballingarry while Broadford United picked up a 3-0 victory against Killeaney in Knockdown thanks to goals from Alan Fitzpatrick, Michael Brosnan and Ross Egan. Glin Rovers hosted Carrig Celtic in a nine goal thriller which finished  7-2 to the home side. Karl O’Sullivan grabbed a hat-trick, Darren Sheahan scored a brace while Brian O’Donovan and Ger Riordan scored one each. Newcastle West Rovers were the winners of the Newcastle West Derby as they defeated Newcastle West AFC 3-1 in Woodfield on Sunday morning. Daragh McCarthy opened the scoring for the home side after twenty minutes as he cushioned the ball straight past the keeper and into the bottom right hand corner. Neither side had many clear cut chances following this with Rovers being unable to get on the end of some great crosses while the visitors had their share of opportunities to go level in the opening half also but the strong Rovers defense held up many of their attacks which were spearheaded by Matty Pakulski. Tony Quaid was exemplary in the middle of the field for AFC using great footwork to move around the centre circle and play fantastic through balls down to Dylan Singh on the left of midfield but they were still unable to find an equaliser. It remained 1-0 at half-time but just five minutes after the break the second goal for Rovers came as a Shane Stack free kick got just beneath the keeper to make it 2-0. Towards the end of the game Newcastle West AFC really came into it and had chance after chance to score before Paul Downes grabbed one back through a thunderous strike. Downes posed a real threat following this goal and was unlucky not to equalize for his side after. Ten minutes later the visitors would have the chance to go level with their rivals after Tony Quaid won and took a penalty but his strike from the spot was excellently saved by Kevin Mee for Rovers to stay in front. Only minutes later Rovers put the game to bed as a fantastic shot from Mike O’Keefe went past the keeper to make it 3-1.

Weekly Observer Division 1.

AK United defeated Breska Rovers 2-1 in Clarina with Josh Page getting the only goal for the visitors. While Granagh United remain at the top of the table following their 3-1 win against Glantine. Rathkeale B put two past Kildimo United without reply to pick up three points while the most exciting Division One game saw Pallaskenry defeat Feenagh 6-3 in the second nine goal game of the day. Pallas led 2-1 at half-time and the game was tied 3-3 at one point before the home side would score three without reply to make it 6-3. Mike O’Neill grabbed four of the six for Pallas with Alan O’Donnell and Lorcan Fitzgerald scoring the other two. Goals from Ger O’Connell and Billy O’Sullivan along with an own goal made up Feenagh’s three.

Weekly Observer Division 2.

Only two games went ahead in Division Two this weekend with Askeaton’s game against Ballysteen and St. Ita’s game vs Bally Rovers both being called off. Newcastle West Rovers B made it a good day for their club as they defeated Adare United 4-3 thanks to goals from Dylan Whelan, Kieran Guina and two from James Guina. While Shountrade and Rockhill Rovers outdid the other nine goal games by scoring ten between them as Shountrade came out on top on a 6-4 scoreline. Shountrade led 3-1 at the break thanks to a brace from Shane Reynolds and one from Tommy Stokes. Stokes would go on to score his second in the second half and Adam Reidy would score two also to secure the win.

Weekly Observer Division 3.

Glantine B recorded their first win of the season with an upset 3-0 win at home to Carrig Celtic B with all three goals coming in the first half. Knockaderry completed the double over Creeves Celtic with a 2-0 win.

About James Kirwan

Leave a Reply