Home / Uncategorized / Clare & District League Review

Clare & District League Review

Barry Ryan Inspired Avenue send Newmarket out of Munster Junior Cup

Newmarket Celtic 1-1 Avenue Utd (AET) – Avenue Utd won 3-1 on penalties
Venue: McDonough Memorial Park, Newmarket

(Report by Páraic McMahon)

Beaten 2015/16 Munster Junior Cup finalists Newmarket Celtic have been knocked out of this year’s competition in the first round.

One week on from defeating Aungier Celtic from the Dublin AUL on penalties in the FAI Junior Cup, Newmarket Celtic’s luck ran out as they came up against a determined Avenue Utd side who can thank the superb Barry Ryan for securing their passage to the second round of the Munster Junior Cup.

Very little separated the teams throughout the contest and the fact that there was no winner after one hundred and ten minutes of football highlights this.

Captain Eoin Hayes put the hosts in front early on from a penalty. Apart from this Newmarket failed to create any decent chances in the opening half and despite putting some good moves together they lacked the touch of quality at the end to finish off these moves.

Former Leicester City and Millwall player Dylan Casey this week returned to Avenue and he was to the fore as they got back on level terms. Casey’s corner was finished to the back of Rob Shier’s net on the twenty ninth minute by the experienced David Russell.

Davy O’Halloran could have put Avenue ahead just before half-time, he was one on one with Shier but saw his effort narrowly go over the crossbar.

Neither of the two goalkeepers were properly tested in the second half. Referee Martin O’Brien had a busy half dishing out four cards, three to Avenue and one to Newmarket’s Brian Monaghan. The Ennis club were conceding the greater amount of frees which afforded Celtic opportunity after opportunity but they failed to capitalise on these set-pieces.

Substitute Sean Doherty had a glorious chance at the start of the second period of extra time but his shot went to the left of the post from close range. At the other end Eoin Hayes went close as it drifted across the goalmouth with nobody to hammer home to the net which meant the tie would be decided on penalties.

Newmarket were determined not to let the game go to penalties as they knew beating Barry Ryan from the penalty spot wasn’t going to be easy. On the other hand Avenue were confident of their chances knowing Ryan would be able to deny their counterparts.

Eoin Hayes had already scored in normal time from the spot, he was first up but saw his effort saved by Ryan. Gary Flynn’s strike went over the cross bar in the next attempt. Barry Ryan pulled off a fantastic save to deny Paddy Purcell as he got down superbly on his right side, David Russell was up next and he was the first player to score in penalties.

Colin Ryan struck his shot well and his finish to the bottom right corner was the only penalty Celtic would score. Jamie Roche followed after and left Rob Shier with no chance as he buried the ball in the bottom right hand corner. Eoin O’Brien came devastatingly close to the target as his shot hit the post and went wide. Sean Doherty sealed the win for Avenue when he slotted home to send them through to the second round.

This will be a massive boost for Avenue Utd who are showing great potential. Welcoming back a player of Dylan Casey’s calibre is another lift for the side currently in fourth position in the Maloney Garden Machinery Premier Division. A good run in this competition is what the club needs to rediscover some confidence. Barry Ryan, Conor Mullen, Jamie Roche, David Russell and Dylan Casey impressed for the winners.

Celtic already knew if they were to win this game they had to do so in normal time. They were without key players in Stephen Kelly, David McCarthy, Mark Donlon for this encounter, their leadership alone was sorely missed as Newmarket needed players with a cool head to steady the ship which they didn’t have on this outing. They will be disappointed to have exited the competition so early but their focus now turns to the FAI Junior Cup and Clare competitions.

Avenue Utd: Barry Ryan; David Herlihy, Conor Mullen, David Russell, Shaun Flanagan; Dylan Casey, Eamon O’Reilly, Patrick McDaid, Colin Smyth, Jamie Roche; Davy O’Halloran

Subs: Sean Doherty for O’Halloran (80), Gary Flynn for Smyth (90)

Newmarket Celtic: Rob Shier; Seamie Lawlor, Paddy Purcell, Eoin O’Brien, David O’Grady; Ian Collins, Tino Nzvaura, Colin Ryan, Brian Monaghan; Eoin Hayes, Cathal Hayes

Subs: Daithí O’Connell for C Hayes (73), Steve Carroll for Lawlor (88), Ronan McCormack for Monaghan (100).

Referee: Martin O’Brien

Maloney Garden Machinery Premier Division
Sporting Ennistymon A 1-2 Shannon Olympic A

Bright sunny morning in Lahinch and perfect conditions for a match. Olympic after a loss last day out in the Munster Junior Cup were out today to bounce back and in the opening exchanges did exactly that. They were good on the ball and playing good fluid football and creating real chances. The best of them 15 minutes in when Jack Arra made a great run leaving two Ennistymon players in his wake out the left wing pulled back a pass to Wayne Ryan who slotted home 1-0 to the visitors. The next 25 minutes saw Olympic with a lot of good chances and their pressure paid off on 42 minutes when a pass to Arra from Wayne Regan saw him pull the trigger only to be pushed out by the keeper however Amallah was quickest to react doubling Olympics lead into the break. Second half was more open and Olympic took the foot off the gas a little let Ennistymon into the game. Ryan made way for Craig Murphy who played well and himself having a couple of chances. On the 70th minute Burke came off injured and Davy O Flaherty came on. Ennistymon had some great chances hitting the post twice and Olympic once. And both keepers were busy. However it was looking more likely that Olympic would hold their clean sheet but with 10 minutes left a poor clearance gifted Ennistymon possession and they made no mistake. Olympic did however look for the third and had chances to get it but could find the net. They saw out the game and a very deserved and important 3 points.

Shannon Olympic A: Pierce DeLoughrey, BJ Cantillon, Dean Power, Rory O Connell, Wayne Regan, Adrian Carew, Derek Maxwell, Jack Arra, Sean Burke, Rachid Amallah, Wayne Ryan.

Subs: Craig Murphy for Wayne Ryan, David O Flaherty for Sean Burke

First Division League
Mountshannon Celtic 3-2 Kildysart Celtic

Mountshannon mounted a second half comeback to deny Kildysart the win and take all three points. The visitors scored the first goal of the game when a smart finish found the bottom left corner of the home net. Four goals came after the interval in an entertaining second period. The away side doubled their lead shortly after the break when a low corner was bundled into the hosts’ goal. Mountshannon’s response came almost immediately after the introduction of Niall Minogue from the bench. He followed up a John Scanlan shot and slotted the rebound beyond the away goalkeeper. On 70 minutes, the home side equalised through John Scanlan as his lobbed ball into the area found the top right corner despite the goalkeeper’s best efforts. The winning goal came through a penalty which was awarded after William Glass was fouled as he charged into the area. Colm Kavanagh stepped up and powered the ball home to secure an important victory for Mountshannon.

Mountshannon Celtic: Colm Kavanagh, Martin Cunningham, Niall Dear, Michael Scanlan, Stephen McSweeney, Michael Barrett, Michael O’Brien, Cathal Moloney, John Scanlan, Oran Scanlan, William Glass

Subs: Niall Minogue for O’Brien, Eoin Keane for Oran Scanlan, John Moloney for Cunningham

Kilrush Rangers 3-1 Moher Celtic
Two goals from Jamie Gilligan and a strike from Trevor Clancy gave Kilrush a good victory over Moher Celtic on Sunday.

Suttons Lighting Third Division
Sporting Ennistymon B 0-3 Inch Crusaders
Two goals from Brenno Henrique and a goal from Padraig Talty helped Inch Crusaders to a deserved victory over Sporting Ennistymon B at Mullagh on Sunday.

Inch Crusaders: Thiago Horatio, James Rynne, Mark Connellan, Sean Talty, Eoghan Grace, Edward Fogarty, Brenno Henrique, Ronan Grace, Rory Killeen, Eamonn Bracken,
Padraig Talty

Subs: Enda McGuane for Ronan Grace, Eoghan Culligan for Killeen, Oran Killeen for Padraig Talty

Shannon Olympic B 2-1 Bunratty Cratloe
Shannon Olympic have climbed to third spot in the division after a hard fought win over Bunratty Cratloe to make it four wins in their last five games. Olympic had a early chance to take the lead after been awarded a penalty but Dylan Kerr failed to convert. Bunratty Cratloe deservedly took the lead soon after when Rory McBeth scored from close range. Olympic dominated the rest of the half but were denied an equalizer by the Bunratty Cratloe keeper who pulled off some fantastic saves. The second half started with David Cuddihy making way for Stephen Dolan and soon after Olympic were awarded another penalty which Adam Harrington made no mistake from 12 yards. Olympic kept the pressure on and deservedly took the lead when Kieran Kissane fired home a great strike from 25 yards. Bunratty Cratloe pushed hard in the closing stages for a equalizer but the Olympic defence defended well as they held on for the valuable 3 points.

Shannon Olympic B: Shane Russell, Daniel Cregan, Conor Neville, Joe Brennan, Paul Cantillion, Adam Harrington, Kieran Kissane, Andy Shanagher, Eric Ogrin, David Cuddihy, Dylan Kerr

Subs: Darragh Danagher, Damien McGettigan, Shane Nihil, Bryan Conway, Stephen Dolan

About James Kirwan

Leave a Reply