Home / Uncategorized / Clare & District League Review

Clare & District League Review

Maloney Garden Machinery Premier Division
Newmarket Celtic A 4-1 Avenue Utd A
It will be advantage Newmarket going into the final game of the season against Shannon Town A next Friday evening after they had a comfortable victory over Avenue on Sunday morning.
Having taken a point from Shannon Town, the Ennis side will have felt they could do the same to Newmarket but it wasn’t to be.
Eoin Hayes got his first of two midway through the first half and that was followed not long after by a goal for David McCarthy against his former club.
From then on there was no doubt about who would win and Newmarket added two more either side of a consolation for Avenue. Hayes picked off his second while substitute Ronan McCormack also got in on the act.
Newmarket now go into Friday’s title decider with a two point lead at the top of the table and home advantage on the night.
Newmarket Celtic: Rob Shier, Dave O’Grady, Mark Donlon, Paddy Purcell, Darren Cullinan, Ian Collins, Colin Ryan, Eoin O’Brien, Brian Monaghan, Eoin Hayes, Davy McCarthy
Subs: Tino Nzvaura for Monaghan, Cathal Hayes for McCarthy, Ronan McCormack for Cullinan
Sporting Ennistymon A 5-2 Bridge Celtic
Sporting Ennistymon finished off their season in style with a Cathal Mc Conigley hat-trick seeing off the sturdy opposition of Bridge Celtic in Lahinch on Sunday. The visitor’s started the brighter and should of had the lead when Nicky O’Connell danced past the Sporting defence but he couldn’t evade Joe Gallagher in the Ennistymon goal. Moments later, Cathal Mc Conigley curled a free-kick into the roof of the net after 20 minutes to open the home teams account. Quick break aways cost Celtic as Mc Conigley latched onto two long passes in quick succession to chalk down his first hat-trick of the season. After the interval, Sean Mc Conigley tapped into the empty Bridge net to establish breathing space for Sporting- that goal brings his tally to 21 goals this season but Celtic’s persistent pressure paid dividends with Garret Kennedy powering a header into the Ennistymon net. Bridge Celtic continued their recovery when a mishap at the back was punished by Nicky O’Connell midway through the second half but James Leigh rounded off a good day for Sean O’Brien’s men as he signs off on a successful six year tenure over his home town side. Celtic were rewarded after their courageous performances during the season as Corofin Harps defeated Shannon Olympic to ensure that the giant killers who defeated both Newmarket Celtic and Shannon Town in the league this season will be kick off the 2017/18 season in Clare’s top tier of football.
Hugh Kelly Premier Division Cup Final
Newmarket Celtic 1-2 Sporting Ennistymon (AET)
Sporting Ennistymon won their first ever Hugh Kelly Premier Division Cup title by defeating Newmarket Celtic in an entertaining final at Frank Healy Park on Wednesday night.
Newmarket started well and Eoin O’Brien went close with an effort that hit the crossbar. Some trickery in the box from Eoin Hayes on 12 minutes resulted in a penalty but his effort from the spot rebounded off the post and was cleared.
Sporting then got a penalty of their own on 18 minutes when Jamesy Mc Conigley slipped a ball in behind the Newmarket defence to Cathal Mc Conigley was taken down by Stephen Kelly which resulted in a red card for the Junior International Player of the Year. Sean Mc Conigley fired his effort towards the corner but Newmarket keeper Niall Quinn got down well to make a great save.
Despite being down to 10 men Newmarket went in front just before half time when a well delivered corner from Eoin Hayes was headed to the back of the Sporting net by Eoin O’Brien.
Sporting took the game to Newmarket in the second half and were rewarded on 65 minutes when a moment of composure and brilliance by Sean Mc Conigley helped get Sporting back on level terms. The number nine danced his way through the Newmarket rear guard and unleashed a powerful low shot past the outstretched Niall Quinn.
With no more goals in normal time the game went to extra time where the 10 men of Newmarket started to tire and Sporting continued to keep the pressure on. Counter attacking football was beginning to punch holes in the stretched Newmarket defence and with 8 minutes on the clock in extra time Michael Leigh picked out Sean Mc Conigley who fired home a great match winning strike past Niall Quinn to clinch a memorable victory for the North Clare side.
Newmarket Celtic: Niall Quinn, David O’Grady, Darren Cullinan, Stephen Kelly, Mark Donlon, Ian Collins, Colin Ryan, Eoin O’Brien, Cathal Hayes, Eoin Hayes, Daithi O’Connell
Subs: David McCarthy for O’Brien, Ronan McCormack for O’Connell, Steve Carroll for Hayes, Tino Nzvaura for Collins, Brian Monaghan for David O’Grady
Sporting Ennistymon: Conor Shannon, Patrick O’Dwyer, Ciaran Monaghan, Tom McConigley, Michael O’Dwyer, Jack O’Dea, Michael Leigh, Michéal Duffy, Sean McConigley, Cathal McConigley, Jamesy McConigley
Subs: Liam Keane for Jamesy McConigley (inj), Mark Burke for Patrick O’Dwyer, Killian Malone for Cathal McConigley, Joseph Gallagher for Monaghan
T Sheils & Company First Division
Avenue Utd B 0-3 Newmarket Celtic B
Newmarket Celtic B are one step closer towards clinching the First Division title with a comfortable away win over relegation battling Avenue United B.
Newmarket went in front midway through the first half from the penalty spot. Michael Crosby slotted his effort into the bottom corner sending the goalkeeper the wrong way in the process.
The second half was far more open with Avenue having to chase the game in hopes of getting a vital point in their fight for survival but it was Newmarket who added two goals to their first half tally.
Eoin Kelly made it 2-0 to the visitors after a goalmouth scramble and Paudie Hayes completed the scoring with a well struck free kick.
Newmarket Celtic B: Brian Tierney, Jamie Cronin, Conor Ryan, Eoin Kelly, John Hartnett; Gary Collins, Michael Crosby, Seamus Considine, Paudie Hayes, Shane Meehan, Ciaran McCoy
Subs: Kieran Crosby for Crosby, Danny Conway for Meehan, Ryan Corry for Hayes, Brandon Cullinan for Collins, Oisin Cavanagh for Considine
Mountshannon Celtic 2-0 Turnpike Rvs
This First Division encounter in Scariff was decided with two moments of first half quality from the home side. Thirty minutes in, the hosts were awarded a free kick 25 yards from goal. Niall Minogue stepped forward and fired his effort powerfully low into the right hand corner of the visitors’ net to give Mountshannon the lead. Just on the verge of half time, Ethan Madden picked up possession and carried the ball to the left edge of Turnpike’s area. He then unleashed an unstoppable strike with his left foot which bulleted into the top right corner.
Turnpike applied pressure at times in the second half. However, they were unable to breach a resilient Mountshannon defense. The hosts also looked threatening on occasion as they counter attacked. Home goalkeeper Andrew O’Dwyer was very sharp on a couple of occasions to ensure his side kept a clean sheet and secured three important points at this late stage of the season.
Mountshannon Celtic: Andrew O’Dwyer, Stephen McSweeney, Michael Scanlan, Niall Dear, Eoin Keane, John Scanlan, Cathal Moloney, Ethan Madden, Niall Minogue, Oran Scanlan, William Glass
Subs: Martin Cunningham for Oran Scanlan, Michael O’Brien for John Scanlan
Kilkishen Celtic 2-5 Kildysart Celtic
A hat-trick from Damien Hill and goals from Francie Hayes and Kieran Eyres gave Kildysart Celtic a good victory over Kilkishen Celtic on Sunday.
Selprint Second Division
Connolly Celtic 1-2 Rineanna Rvs
Goals from Darren Lindsay and Liam Hayes helped Rineanna Rovers to a good victory over the champions and earned them a play-off with Tulla Utd B for automatic promotion to the First Division.
Suttons Lighting Third Division
Inch Crusaders 1-0 Shannon Town B
Inch Crusaders got the better of title chasing Shannon Town B in a good game of football at Lees Road on Sunday. Inch started well with Thiago Santana having a shot blocked by Philip Shanagher and Padraig Talty having an effort saved by Jason Casey. A well struck free kick from Killian Torphy on 30 minutes ended up in the net with the help of a deflection and Inch had a deserved lead. Shannon Town pressed for an equalizer before half time and came close with an effort from Kevin Cahill that hit the crossbar. Inch started the second half well with Brenno Henrique causing the visitors a lot of problems. Inch went close to getting a second with an effort from Emmet Pyne that rebounded off the crossbar. Shannon Town finished the game strong with Gerry Kelly causing the home side a lot of problems. Kelly forced Inch keeper Thiago Horatio into making a brilliant save on 83 minutes and right before full time a rocket of a shot from Kelly from the edge of the box hit the underside of the crossbar and bounced on the line as Inch held on for the victory.
Inch Crusaders: Thiago Horatio, Eoghan Grace, Mark Connellan, Sean Talty, Killian Torphy, Gareth Thompson, Padraig Talty, Rory Killeen, Enda McGuane, Brenno Henrique, Thiago Santana
Subs: James Rynne, Emmet Pyne, Ronan Grace, David Moloney, Eoghan Culligan
Shannon Town B: Jason Casey, Jason McEntyre, Philip Shanagher, Graham McGorrian, Gary O’Brien, Stephen Winters, Ryan Hodge, Gavin O’Donnell, Ken Buckley, Kevin Cahill, Eoghan Maxwell
Subs: Cliff McCabe, Jamie Hodge, Gerry Kelly, Luke Cahill, Pa Madden
Sporting Ennistymon B 1-4 Shannon Olympic B
Shannon Olympic B made it 3 wins in a row after a comfortable win over a spirited Ennistymon side in Mullagh on Sunday. Olympic opened the scoring after 5 minutes when Eric Ogrin scored on the half volley from 25 yards.
Ennistymon almost immediately equalized but Ruairi Price was sharp off his line and made a good save. Olympic made it 2-0 when a long ball from Price was drooped by the Ennistymon keeper and Patrick Twomey made no mistake from the rebound. Ennistymon pulled a goal back after a own goal against the run of play. After the break Olympic made it 3-1 when Cian O’Brian scored. Dean Courtney then made it 4-0 after a super strike from outside the box. Ennistymon pushed hard to get back into the game and were awarded a penalty when Cian O’Brien handed in the box but they were to be denied a goal when Price guessed right and made a great save.
Shannon Olympic B: Ruairi Price, Daniel Cregan, Dean Courtney, Eddie Dunne, Shane Nihil, David Cuddihy, Ross O’ Connor, Eric Ogrin, Adam Harrington, Joe Brennan, Patrick Twomey
Subs: Paul Cantillion for Dunne, Cian O’Brien for Cuddihy

About James Kirwan

Leave a Reply