Home / TSDL / News / TSDL Weekend Review

TSDL Weekend Review

Tipperary  Cup 1st Round

11th December 2016

Clonmel Celtic 7 – 1 St Nicholas

Clonmel Celtic got their festive season off to the perfect start with a seven goals to one win over suitably named St Nicholas this afternoon. After last week’s hugely disappointing exit from the FAI Junior Cup, Celtic wasted no time going about their business with goals from Aaron Moroney and Evan McGuire putting the home side two up within the first ten minutes. They continued to dominate with Moroney adding a second and Paul Kennedy also showing he hasn’t lost in touch in front of goal as Celtic raced into a four goal lead, before Darren Stokes pulled one back for the visitors just before the break. The visitors they kept batting away with Brian Sweeney forced into some good saves in the second period before Aaron Moroney completed his hat trick from the spot just after the hour mark. Within five minutes he scored his fourth after showing good control and composure in the box before smashing an unstoppable effort home. There was also a successful penalty conversion from debutant Levi Whelan before the end as Celtic eased into the next round of the cup.

Clonmel Town 2 – 3 Peake Villa

In the biggest tie of the first round of this year’s Cup, Clonmel Town crashed out at the early kick off on Sunday morning going down by three goals to two to Peake Villa. The visitors took the lead in the twenty second minute through Matthew McKevitt but that lead was held for just ten minutes as Paul Shanahan levelled as he volleyed home from inside the box. Villa re-established their advantage three minutes after the restart through a fine header from Pippy Carroll and with ten minutes remaining on the clock they added a third again through McKevitt. Keith Cashman volleyed home from the edge of the box with three minutes left to make it a tight closing final few minutes but Villa held out and advanced to round two, much to the disappointment of the home crowd.

Slieveardagh United 0 – 1 Donohill and District

Slieveardagh United hosted Donohill & District in the first round of the Tipperary Cup in The Commons in fresh conditions on Sunday last, and both teams started brightly, creating chances in the opening stages, that neither team was able to convert. Donohill started to get the upper hand in stages as the half wore on, and had two great chances to take the lead but squandered their opportunities. The second half began in much the same fashion as the first, with both teams fighting to gain control of the game, and the first real chance of the half came after a mix up in the home defence allowed Jamie Malone to finish from inside the six yard box. Slieveardagh used their substitutes to try and get an equaliser and put the pressure on the opposition defence, but weren’t able to make breakthrough and Donohill advanced to the next round.

Old Bridge 4 – 1 Cahir Park B

Third Division Cahir Park started the quickest here against their Premier League hosts and had a great chance after only two minutes but couldn’t convert when they had only the home keeper to beat. They were then left to rue this miss shortly after, when the hosts took the lead just a minute later when Rian Clancy headed home from a Stephen Kearns cross. Bridge went two up ten minutes before the break when Clancy again applied the finish after a Martin Kennedy shot had been blocked by the keeper. That said there was still a sting in the visitors and the homes sides keeper Liam Powell had to make a brilliant save just before half time to keep his sides lead. But a goal was coming and Cahir got themselves back in the game early in the second half when Gary Murphy worked his way through the Bridge defence and slotted past home. After a number of chances for both sides, Old Bridge regained their two goal advantage on sixty four minutes when Martin Kennedy volleyed home from close range after a lovely cross from Emmet Ryan, and the game was finished off eleven minutes before the end when Chris O’Gorman scored his side’s fourth goal, again after a cross from Emmet Ryan

Burncourt  Celtic 1 – 2 Mullinahone

These sides have been have some fantastic duels over the past couple of years in League and Cup competition, and Sunday’s instalment was another good game between the sides. The home side started strongly but were met with a very well drilled Mullinahone defence, who kept them at bay until the twentieth minute when Celtic were awarded a penalty kick after one of their players was taken down in the area. Cian Duggan stepped up and drove the ball past the keeper to open the scoring. However that lead was wiped out ten minutes later when a speculative cross from the right caught the Burncourt keeper in no man’s land and curled over his head to give the visitors an equaliser they scarcely deserved. Fifteen minutes into the second period Mullinahone moved in front when a free kick at the edge of their opponents area was not clearly and a visiting striker pounced for fire home from six yards. After that Burncourt had most of the play and the better of the chances, but Mullinahone were never really in danger of conceding and move now to the next round of the Cup at their host’s expense.

Peake Villa B 3 – 3 Rosegreen Rangers (Peake win 5-4 on penalties)

In what turned out to be the shock of the round, Third Division high flyers Peake Villa came from behind to beat First Division Rosegreen Rangers at the Tower Grounds on Sunday, with the tie decided on penalty kicks after a three all draw. The first half hour was frenzied stuff as the visitors raced into a two goal lead courtesy of an own goal but Villa were back in the game shortly after when some good midfield work set up Davy Bourke to score. Just after the restart Darragh Browne put the visitors back in front and things went from bad to worse for the home side when they were reduced to ten men after one of their players received a second yellow card. This combined with a third by Brendan Ryan for Rosegreen, looked like putting paid to any giant killing efforts but the home side never gave up and were back in the game when Roman Mc Guire made it three goals to two. Incredibly despite being a man down Villa kept attacking hard and got their reward ten minutes from time when Andrew O Halloran drew them level and forced extra time.  There were no more goals in the extra periods and when it came down to a duel from twelve yards, it was the home side who held their nerve to advance on a five goals to four score line.

Premier League

11th December

Galbally United 4 – 7 Tipperary Town

An eleven goal thriller was the outcome of this game between the two West Tipperary teams but for much of the game it was one way traffic as the visitors continued their fine season, and the home side continued their slide back towards the First Division. Town struck early in the game when top scorer Vinny Godfrey finished low into the corner of the net after a cross from Steven Quinn and they doubled the lead midway through the half when Quinn again provided the assist this time for Donagh Leahy. After all his good work in the half it seemed only fair that Quinn himself should get on the scoresheet and he did so five minutes before the break after he was teed after a great run by Barry O Dwyer, leaving Tipperary Town three goals to the good at the break. They continued their hot form ten minutes into the second half when Godfrey scored his second and more or less put the game to bed. That however only started what seemed like a goal crazy last twenty five minutes as both teams went for broke, with Quinn Perry bringing a goal back for Galbally before Donagh Leahy re-established their five goal lead. Ger Quinlan of the home side and Barry O Dwyer swapped a goal each for their sides before another brace for Galbally from Perry and Darren Sheedy brought the game back to six goals to four with only minutes left. However whatever chance they may have harboured of snatching anything from the game was snuffed out when Brian Nugent rose highest to head Town’s seventh and firmly secure all three points.

Two Mile Borris 4 – 2 Cashel Town

If ever there was going to be a relegation six pointer in this year’s league it was going to be this game, as the home side came from behind to record their second win of the season over a Cashel Town team in freefall, and leapfrog them out of the relegation spots. It was hard to put a finger on what went wrong with Cashel on Sunday as they were by far the better team in the opening period and went to the break two goals up courtesy of strikes by James Harding and Adam Kennedy. That said, they display a mental fragility these days and when Jack Cleary got a goal back for the home side on the hour mark, the visitors seemed to visibly crumble. Five minutes later Richard Mc Carthy had the teams level with a strike from close in, and with seven minutes left in the game Loran O Toole got his sides third to put them in front for the first time. Cashel responded by throwing caution to the wind chasing the deficit, and were could with a classic counterpunch minutes from time, when Fionn Mc Cartan secured the points for the Borris boys.

First Division

11th December 2016

Glengoole United 4 – 0 Bansha Celtic

These teams met a couple of week ago in the Paddy Purtill Cup with just a kick of a ball between them, after Bansha came out on top in a penalty shootout, so the expectation was that this would be as close. Both sides are fighting to get back into the Premier League after relegation last Summer so this was the perfect time to put down a marker and that’s what was done by the Glengoole side. The first half was very open with both teams creating chances and in the twenty fifth minute the home side broke the deadlock when they were awarded a penalty which was scored by Michael Rafter. On the stroke of half time a ball from mid-field was played on to Rafter in the box, and he showed his undoubted class by turning a visiting defender inside out and scoring second low to the left corner. Seven minutes into the second half a shot was blocked out to Rafter again, who hit a powerful shot to the net to secure his hat trick. One the hour mark the home side finished the scoring when a ball crossed from the left was met at the back post by Jamie Carey who scored the final goal of the game to leave the final score four nil to Glengoole.

Kilsheelan United 0 – 3 Cahir Park

Kilsheelan went down to another bad defeat at home to Cahir on Sunday as they found themselves right in the relegation mire before the season has turned into the New Year. With a number of injuries they were always on the back foot, but they performed admirably to reduce the visitors to a number of long range efforts early on. Cahir had their best chance to score on twenty five minutes, only for a brave save by Steve McGrath diving at the feet of the Cahir player to save. The home side then had the ball in the net just before the half hour, when Adam Hants squared in the ball to the on rushing Barry Cloona, only to see the referee cruelly call offside. And the import of that decision was felt minutes later when the visitors saw a shot rebound off the home crossbar and dropping to the feet of Shane Murphy to slam home. The home side’s cause was dealt a further blow twenty minutes from time when they were reduced to ten minute after a player received a second yellow card and to add insult to injury Cahir doubled their lead almost immediately when James Darcy slotted past the home keeper. Ten men became nine twelve minutes from the end after a straight red card and good work from Cahir once again lead to Shane Murphy scoring the third and final goal of the game seven minutes from time.

Division 2

11th December 2016

Cashel Town 1 -2 Wilderness Rovers

A very competitive game in Cashel on Sunday with both teams battling hard for the points at stake and at times tempers got frayed in an end to end encounter. Wilderness took the lead after twelve minutes when Sean O Donoghue latched on to a perfect ball over the top to finish calmly, but Cashel however were in no mood to lie down and responded with a great goal five minutes later when Robbie Doherty scored a wonderful volley into the far top corner to level the game. There were chances for both teams coming up to half time but the score remained one all at the break. The second half continued with both sides having chances but Wilderness got the vital breakthrough with about eight minutes remaining after Bob Buckley took advantage of a mix up in the penalty area to tap home the winner.

Division 3

11th December 2016

Kilmanahan United 2 – 0 Bansha Celtic

Both sides had their dominant spells in this game but it was the home side that made the most of their opportunities and they took the lead in the twenty fifth minute when Jake Mulcahy got on the end of a cross from Dave Garret to head home. Bansha may be struggling at the wrong end of the table but they showed they had plenty fight in them but dominating the next half hour of the tie, but without managing to change the scoreline. The hosts punished their profligacy in the sixty fifth minute when they got their second goal through Andy Hickey and after that had the luxury of closing out the game to very little worry from the visitors.


Killusty 4 – 1 Ballyneale

Killusty picked up three points after a good win against Ballyneale on Sunday and opened the scoring in the ninth minute when Alan Lawrence fired his side in front after some good midfield play by the hosts. Ballyneale struck back ten minutes later with an equaliser by Owen Mc Guigan, and this brought the game to the break level. However the second half was owned by the home side and three goals from Brian Delahunty, David Conway and a second by Alan Lawrence made it an easy three points in the end.

Killenaule Rovers 0 – 2 Clonmel Town B

Clonmel Town’s seconds continued their promotion push with three more points away to Killenaule, and opened the scoring in the tenth minute with a goal by John Shanahan who is currently enjoying an Indian summer at the twilight of his career. The real clincher for the visitors however was the second goal from Shane Flynn two minutes before the break which secured the win for his side.



About James Kirwan

Leave a Reply