Home / TSDL / News / TSDL Weekend Review

TSDL Weekend Review



FAI Junior Cup

Thurles Town 2-0 Cahir Park
Thurles Town comfortably beat Cahir thanks to a goal in either have by veteran captain Barry Ryan. He opened the scoring with a close range header on 9 minutes and doubled his sides lead on 50 minutes. Cahir struggled to make an impact in the hosts box but did force keeper Graeme Loughman into a very good save on 65 minutes.


Munster Junior Cup 3rd Round

Peake Villa 3-2 Glengoole United
Villa advanced to the fourth round of the Munster Junior Cup but had to do it the hard way against a plucky United side. Villa opened the scoring with eleven minutes on the clock after some intricate passing found Pippy Carroll in space and he made no mistake. It wasn’t until the fifty second minute that we seen another goal when Michael Rafter equalised after been left complete on his own in the area and his low drive beat Stephen Ryan in the Villa goal. Villa regained the lead fifteen minutes later thanks to Darren McGuire who finished off a well worked move for the hosts. United though refused to give up and equalised again with fifteen minutes to go when Dan Rafter rise highest to head the ball home. Villa hit the winner with only nine minutes remaining when youngster Dale Loughnane unleashed a strike from distance that left the visiting keeper with no chance and sending Peake Villa into the fourth round.


TSDL Premier Division

St Michael’s 2-2 Tipperary Town
Tipperary Town became the first side to take points off Saints this season thanks to an absolute cracker from Vinnie Godfrey. Saints raced into a two nil lead in the first eight minutes thanks to a brace from David Slattery. The first was in the fifth minute when a Jimmy Carr cross was inch perfect and Slattery was on hand to head home. Only three minutes later the lead was doubled when Slattery found space and his beautiful curled effort left the keeper with no chance as it found the top corner. Saints would continue to probe but to no avail and indeed it was Town who took advantage when on the sixty seventh minute Brian Jones rose highest in the box and headed home with easy to bring his side back into the game. Town would equalise on the seventy fifth minute in the most exquisite of ways when Godfrey collected the ball thirty yards out and his deft lob beat the keeper all ends up to send the large away crowd into delirium. Despite some late pressure from Saints the game stayed as it was.

Cashel Town 6-3 Galbally
This relegation six pointer went to the hosts in a game where defending wasn’t a high priority by all accounts. Town raced to a three nil lead by the half hour mark thanks to goals from James Harding, Ian Hahessy and Chilly Fitzell, Bernard O’Brien did grab one back for the visitors before half time after his penalty somehow squirmed past Adam Skeffington. The second half started as the first did and three more goals were added to the Cashel account when Fitzell added his second and Michael McDermott bagged a brace. United managed two goals late on but it’s looking like a swift return to the First Division for them whilst Town will hope this can be the start of their own survival hopes.

Clonmel Town 1-1 Clonmel Celtic
This Clonmel derby ended in a stalemate, a match that failed to live up to the high expectations. Celtic grabbed the lead on sixteen minutes when a cross from Kevin Waters was flicked on by David Joyce and Striker Seanie O’Hara was on hand to head home. Town would equalise soon after when Aidan McGrath collect a neat through ball and he made no mistake in beating Sweeney in the Celtic goal. The match would stay this way as neither side could capitalise on St Michael’s dropping points.


TSDL Division 1

St Michael’s B 3-0 Bansha Celtic
Saints moved to the top of the table here after comfortably ending Celtics 100% start to the season. Saints were ahead as early as the seventh minute when Elliott Thompson found Ger Browne and he made no mistake. Browne would turn provider ten minutes later when his pass found Alan O’Dwyer and his finished well past the helpless Doyle in the Celtic goal. It was three nil by the break as Browne grabbed his second with a good header from a Tom Hanley cross. Saints held out easily from then on and we’re happy to take the result as they push for the title, maybe last weekend highs for Celtic were too much to come to terms with this weekend.

Vee Rovers 0-2 Redmondstown
Rovers survival hopes took a battering here as they lost to an out of form Redmondstown. In a close first twenty minutes Redmondstown broke the deadlock with a fine strike from Steven O’Keefe. The match continued to be a tight affair until five minutes from time when a wonderful break away seen Kyle Ryan slide the ball past the oncoming keeper to end the game as a contest.

St Nicholas 3-2 Kilsheelan United
This thriller brought about some talking points as Saints beat Kilsheelan in a game that had three penalty kicks. Saints took a well earned lead on ten minutes when Eoin O’Riordan finished well after some very good football from the hosts. United would equalise eight minutes later when Eoin Ryan scored the first of the penalties on the day. Only two minutes later though Saints were awarded one of their own and John Joe O’Brien made no mistake from the spot. Saints doubled their lead on sixty five minutes when O’Brien fired home his second of the day, again from the spot, to put his side into an unassailable lead. Pierce Larkin did however pull one back for the visitors ten minutes from time but it was ultimately too little too late.


TSDL Division 2

Moyglass United 0-3 Cullen-Lattin
Cullen-Lattin raced to a five point lead at the top of the Second Division thanks to a comfortable three nil win away to Moyglass. Tony Lowry put the visitors ahead on the twentieth minute following a goal mouth scramble. It was soon to be two nil when James Riordan’s free kick proved to be too good for the hosts keeper. Timmy Heffernan rounded off the scoring ten minutes before half time. The visitors continued to play well throughout but could not find the net to add a fourth.


TSDL Division 3

Clonmel Town B 2-2 Cahir Park B
Town started the better here and we’re rewarded for their dominance on fifteen minutes through a John Shanahan header. Town continued to push forward but missed a series of opportunities and paid the price when a defensive mix up seen Jason Morrissey tap home from close range. The ignited the fire in Cahir and they were rewarded for some good play before the break when Shanahan headed into his own goal to give Cahir an unlikely lead. Town would dominate the second half without any real penetration but it took until the eighty fifth minute when Kian Gallaghers shot was spilled into the net by the unlucky Cahir keeper.

Killenaule Rovers 1-0 Killusty
This tight game could only be won by a something majestic and up stepped Dominic Blake on the thirty fifth minute, he collected the ball some thirty yards from goal and his fierce Fc drive found the top corner to score for the second game running and this was enough to grab the three points for his side.

Kilmanahan United 1-2 Ballyneale
Ballyneale grabbed only their second win of the season in a very close game away to Kilmanahan United. The visitors grabbed the lead five minutes before the break when Dean Madigan latched onto a scramble from a corner and buried the ball home. Madigan doubled his sides lead on fifty minutes with a superb volley from the edge of the box. United rallied from here and only two minutes later the pulled one back when Kenneth Keating’s shot from twenty yards ended in the corner of the net.

Peake Villa B 6-0 Bansha Celtic B
Villa beat Elwick with consummate ease here to extend their lead at the top of the table. Goals from David Burke (3), Damien Walchak, Damien Burke and David Mahoney were enough to see off the Celtic challenge

About James Kirwan

Leave a Reply