Home / TSDL / News / Tipperary Southern & District League Review

Tipperary Southern & District League Review


Munster Junior Cup 3rd Round

Wilderness Rovers 1 – 5 Tipperary Town

Tipperary Town followed up their good result of last weekend to move onto the next round of the Munster Cup with an emphatic win away to Wilderness Rovers on Sunday. The home side started well but were very soon on the back foot with the visitors quickly taking control of the middle of the pitch. Town opened the scoring after ten minutes when some good play in front of the Wilderness area found Barry O Dwyer in space, and he fired home. This left the home side chasing the game and they left themselves open once too often when they conceded a second goal right on the stroke of half time with O Dwyer being the scorer once again. In complete control now, it was three nil on the hour mark with a Stephen Quinn goal, but the home side did manage to get one back minutes later with an effort by Kyle Kennedy. It really wasn’t enough to spur the Wildies on to a comeback however, and two goals in the final fifteen minutes of the game by Darren Neville and Vinny Godfrey assured the Premier League side there would be no cup shocks in Clonmel.

Premier League

Clonmel Celtic 2 – 2 Old Bridge

Celtic’s title aspirations are fading fast after dropping another two points in a two all draw with Old Bridge in the Clonmel derby on Sunday morning. The home side began the game quite well and had the better of the early stages testing the Bridge defence while the Bridge keeper made a few comfortable saves. They hit the front on twenty minutes and it was Seanie O’Hara finishing well when Bridge failed to properly clear a corner. This should have been the foundation for a much needed Celtic win but they didn’t build on this lead and the visitors responded well to falling behind. Celtic received a warning when Sean Browne stuck the post ten minutes before the break, but minutes later some sloppy defending allowed John Bates in to level for the Bridge.  As expected the home side poured forward in the second half but a combination of resolute defending and good goalkeeping kept them at bay. The visitors dug in deep and hit Celtic with a sucker punch twelve minutes from time when a defensive mix up allowed Shane Butler in to give his side the lead. It looked ominous for Celtic but despite being far from their best they kept plugging away and levelled in injury time when Darren Sweeney tapped home from close range after the visiting keeper had saved Seanie O’Hara’s effort. There was still time for a winner but when Andy Cosgrave’s late free was cleared that ended Celtic’s chance of three points.

St Michael’s 5 – 0 Galbally United

Saints always had an extra gear here at a cold and windy Cooke Park, and Ryan Deere made it one nil after only two minutes when he converted a David Grincell cross. Russell Quirke was taken down when well placed and Richie Ryan delayed putting the finishing touch on a move in the eighteenth minute and John O’Brien’s cross three minutes later was just too high for Ryan Deere in their attempts to double the lead. Richie Ryan finally made it two on thirty five minutes when he forced home a Jimmy Carr cross from close range, before they scored a third just before the end of the half with a second goal from Deere. He got his hat trick minutes into the second period as it looked like the home side were about to run riot, but credit to Galbally they stuck manfully at the task and kept the home side from scoring again until thirteen minutes from the end when Richie Ryan hit a cracker from twenty five yards for his second goal and the Saints fifth. This sets St Michael’s up well for next week’s trip to Carew Park in the Champions Cup, where they will attempt to win the competition from the third time in its short history for the champions of the TSDL.

Peake Villa 1 – 4 Clonmel Town

Town left it late to secure all three points in Thurles against an organised Peake Villa outfit on Sunday morning last. Villa played with a strong wind at their backs in the first half and caused problems but Cleere and Shanahan defended well for Town as the sides went in nil all at the break. Town took control of the second half proceedings and went close on a couple of occasions through O’Meara and Scully, but the home side Villa took the lead against the run of play as Mikey Wade drilled home at the back post in the sixty sixtth minute. Town replied almost instantly as an Aidan McGrath cross into the path of Tony Scully was squared to Paul Shanahan who tapped home at the back post to level it. This pushed the visitors on and they got their reward for some great play six minutes from time when David McGrath pulled the ball back from the touch line for brother Aidan to swoop home and put their side in front. Aidan doubled his tally minutes later scoring direct from a corner kick aided by the wind. McGrath then became provider in injury time, when his superb flick over the head of the centre half gave him the space to slip David through to finish well to the net.

First Division

Vee Rover 4 – 4 St Nicholas

Vee Rovers finally picked up their first points of the season with a very entertaining draw after coming from behind twice to snatch some reward in injury time. The home side dominated early on but were hit with a classic sucker punch in the sixteenth minute when John Joe O Brien broke away and netted for the Saints. Shell shocked from this Vee conceded a second shortly afterwards to Eoin O Riordan and went in two goals down at the break.  However they came back out again all guns blazing in the second half and by the hour mark were ahead with three goals, one from a Dylan Walsh header and a brace by Alan Condon. But they were barely ahead for ten minutes when the game changed completely again and two more quick fire goals by the visitors from Darragh Barret and Aaron Ryan put Nicholas’ back in the driving seat. And that’s how it stayed until deep into injury time when a late goal by Darren Hannigan ensured his team a share of the spoils.


Kilsheelan United 1 – 5 Rosegreen Rangers

Rosegreen Rangers seem to be mining a rich vein of form again after an indifferent start to the season, and they picked up a very good result away to Kilsheelan on Sunday which will have the home side looking back over their shoulders lest they get dragged into a relegation battle this season. The visitors had an almost perfect start when they opened the scoring within two minutes after being awarded a penalty which Trevor Downey made no mistake with. The home side did fight back and were unlucky to level in the twentieth minute when Eddie Sweeney went close, but they rued their missed chances in the final ten minutes before the break with Brendan Ryan and Vinnie Downey turned a single goal lead into three and left their side looking home and hosed. But the home side weren’t in the mood to lie down too easily and within four minutes of the restart had pulled a goal back when Eoin Ryan toe poked an effort past the Rosegreen keeper. This lead to the home side upping the ante but the Rangers continued to soak up the pressure and look dangerous on the break, finally restoring their three goal lead just after the hour mark when Vinnie Downey pounced to score his second of the game. The points were well and truly assured three minutes from the end when Brendan Ryan struck his second and his sides fifth of the game.  

Cahir Park 6 – 1 St Michael’s

A second half blitz in Cahir left league leaders St Michael’s reeling as they were swamped by a Cahir Park team who have been distracted by Cup games lately, and are now ready to announce themselves back into the promotion race. It was a tense, even dour first half with neither side making any chance of note but ten minutes into the second period Shane Murphy put the Park a goal up with a fine individual effort. This seemed to spark his team mates into overdrive as by the seventy sixth minute they had added three more goals with a superb effort from distance by Liam Casey, a tap in by Shane O Neill and a second from Murphy. Stunned by this the Saints did manage a goal of their own from the penalty spot with ten minutes left, but it was the briefest of respite as three minutes later Murphy completed his hat trick while Casey added his second just to make the result even more emphatic.

Division 2

Suirside 2 – 1 Burncourt Celtic

In a game played in Burncourt, Suirside came from a goal down to put one over on their near neighbours and rivals on Sunday afternoon. Celtic dominated most of the early play and created a number of chances before a Suirside defender was adjudged to have handled in the area and Johnny Mc Mahon stepped up to put Burncourt in front. This was how it stayed until ten minutes into the second half when Suirside were thrown an unlikely lifeline courtesy of a stray clearance from the Celtic defence which was pounced upon by Alan Ryan to slot home. Their tails up now, the Suirsiders kicked on and forced a penalty kick of their own ten minutes later which was converted by John O Donnell to put them into the lead. And that was how the game finished with Celtic being unable to salvage even a draw despite some good chances near the end.

Mullinahone 3 – 2 Donohill and District

Mullinahone started this game several places above Donohill in the league table but there was little between the teams in a tough encounter on Sunday last. For long periods of the first half the visitors were the better side and took a well-deserved lead when Dinny Crosse scored after a fine move. The home side found it difficult to settle and struggled to make an impact, before a Seanie Bermingham diving header went close to levelling the game. They did come back out in the second half determined to get a foothold in the game and equalised through Wayne Laslett shortly after the restart. Kevin Walzer then scored the goal of the game with a brilliant left footed volley from the edge of the box, ten minutes later, and he was on the scoresheet again shortly after to give the home side a three goals to one lead with twenty minutes left. A determined Donohill team refused to give up however and Crosse got a second goal ten minutes from time to set up a grandstand finish. It wasn’t enough though and Mullinahone managed to stumble over the line with all three points in their pockets.

Cullen Lattin 1 – 1 Slieveardagh United

 League leaders Cullen Lattin dropped their first points of the season on Sunday last when they were held to a one all draw by a very tough and dogmatic performance from Slieveardagh United. The visitors started the brighter and were on top for the first quarter of an hour, but Cullen eventually took control and were unlucky not to lead after chances by Hayes, Lowry and O Dea. They finally broke the deadlock on the half hour when Timmy Heffernan unleashed a thunderbolt from all of thirty five yards which gave the keeper no chance. They took this lead into the second period and after a very keenly contested and even game of football, looked like they were going to make it seven in a row. However in the final minute of the game the visitors got the breakthrough they deserved and Colm Ivors smashed home from the edge of the Cullen area. 

Division 3  

Bansha Celtic 4 –  3  Ballyneale

This was a real game of two halves, with the visitors having the better of the opening period, scoring in the twentieth minute with a well struck free kick from Conor O’ Neill and going to the break two goals up courtesy of a second by Dean Madden. After half time the home side finally got going and scored their first five minutes after the hour mark when Bernard Fitzgerald was on the end of a good cross from the right. The same player got his second and his team’s equalizer five minutes later with a shot from close range, before Bansha took the lead twelve minutes from time, after Stephen O’ Dwyer rounded the keeper and slotted home from an acute angle. The visitors came roaring back to get their own equalizer with six minutes to go, after Kevin Hogan took advantage of some hesitancy in the home defence and his shot went in over the keeper, but just when it looked like finishing all square up stepped O’ Dwyer again to score the winner deep into added time with a neat finish to the keepers right.


Tipperary Town 3 – 0 Killenaule Rovers

This was a very good win for Tipperary Town in their pursuit of the leaders at the top of the Third Division, and keeps them right in the mix for promotion at the end of the season. They started well and gave the large home crowd plenty to cheer as they created numerous chances and put the visiting defence under all kinds of pressure. However the Rovers weren’t for breaking and they managed to bring the game to the break scoreless. It was a brief respite though as Town continued the assault on their goal in the second period and finally broke through with a neat header from Colin Hayes. Minutes later that lead was doubled when Brian Nugent was fouled in the area, and he rose to power home the resultant penalty kick himself. Although Killenaule continued to battle to find a way back into the game, the tie was finally settled when Nugent got his second in the final ten minutes as a result of some strong running and a powerful drive goal wards.


Peake Villa 3 – 0 Cahir Park

Peake Villa remained at the top of the Third Division with a clinical victory over Cahir ParkB in Thurles on Sunday morning. They had a brace of goals from Ronan Mc Guire and an effort by Davie Mahoney to thank for the win.

Killusty 2 – 0 Kilmanahan United

Killusty took the points in this game courtesy of a goal in each half against a Kilmanahan team which has yet to show any run of form worth noting this season. The home side took the lead on the half hour with a well taken goal by Ciaran O Meara, and assured themselves of all three points when Sean Murphy powered home a twenty five yard free kick four minutes from time.


About James Kirwan

Leave a Reply