Home / TSDL / News / Paddy Purtill Cup Review

Paddy Purtill Cup Review


Paddy Purtill Cup 1st Round
20th November 2016
Wilderness Rovers 3 – 5 St Michael’s
A rip roaring Cup tie in Clonmel on Sunday saw Michael’s second team take the lead before coming from behind to overcome a spirited performance from the Wilderness team, and progress to the next round of this year’s Paddy Purtill Cup. The visitors started well and took the lead on fifteen minutes when Ryan Deere scored his fifth goal of the weekend. They looked comfortable five minutes later when John Burke fired home, but this only stoked up the passions of the home side and they thundered back with a Jason Barnes penalty, a Stephen Kelly drive and a wonderfully worked goal finished off by David Grace giving the home side the lead at the break. They probably would have wished that the break hadn’t stopped their momentum as five minutes into the second half the Saints levelled the game with another Deere goal and with two more in the next seven minutes from Eoin Byrne and Paddy Fitzgerald made sure that the visitors carried on in the competition.

Rosegreen Rangers 5 – 1 Mullinahone
Rosegreen continued their fine run of form at the weekend when they advanced to the next round of the Paddy Purtill Cup with a good win against Second Division Mullinahone. The home side were in control from the outset and took the lead in the twentieth minute with a strike by Brendan Ryan. Ten minutes later TJ Ryan doubled the advantage with a close in effort, but Mullinahone’s James Carroll got a goal back for his side ten minutes before the break. It was only brief respite however and on the hour mark Trevor Downey slammed home another of his signature free kicks to put his side two in front once again. That was how the game stayed until ten minutes before the end, when eventually the fitness of the home side began to tell and they tagged on two more goals from Brendan Ryan and a Downey penalty to record a very comfortable win.

St Nicholas 2 – 0 Slieveardagh United
It was the Philip O Doherty show for St Nicholas as they overcame a strong Second Division side in Slieveardagh on Sunday last at Danny O Dwyer Park in Solohead. The home side were very much on top in the opening period but were unable to make that advantage count until ten minutes before the break when Doherty evaded a number of tackles at the edge of the box before firing home. The same player thought he had doubled his teams advantage five minutes later but was adjudged to have been offside and the Saints went to the break a goal to the good. They stayed that way until ten minutes from time when they wrapped up the victory through a second by O Doherty who had been proving a handful to the Ballingarry side all day.

Cashel Town B 1 – 3 Suirside

These sides met for the second week in a row with Suirside again emerging victorious however Cashel spurned a number of good chances which they ended up regretting by the end of the game as they were dumped out of the Purtill Cup. Suirside opened the scoring after twenty minutes when a driving run by Jason Coffey was finished off with a great strike from twenty five yards that flew into the top corner. They doubled their lead ten minutes before the break when John O’Donnell headed home from a corner after some poor marking by the home side. The game was put to bed for all intents and purposes shortly after the game resumed with Colm Nugent scored from a corner kick but Town finally got the goal their performance deserved when Paulius Aleknavicius scored after some good build up play with five minutes left to play. Alas this was too little too late and the visiting side moved into the next round.

Burncourt Celtic 0 – 3 Donohill and District  
Two late goals by the visitors gave perhaps an unfair gloss on the scoreboard but Donohill and District were deserved victors in this first round Paddy Purtill tie on Sunday. It could have been different for the home side however had the referee not disallowed an early goal when he adjudged the visiting keeper to have been impeded in the passage of play that lead up to the disallowed goal. After that the game was a tit for tat affair that was scoreless at the break. The second half was only two minutes old however when the visitors took the lead after a goalkeeping error allowed Jamie Marlowe to tap in from close range. Donohill then took to soaking up all that the home side could throw at them and five minutes from the end broke away to get the killer goal through Jerry O Neill. Completely deflated after this Burncourt conceded a third deep into injury time when Davy Lonergan lobbed their keeper from twenty five yards out after another poor clearance

About James Kirwan

Leave a Reply