Home / TSDL / News / Tipperary Southern & District League Review

Tipperary Southern & District League Review


Munster League Champions Cup

Quarter Final


A late James Walsh goal decided put TSDL side St Michael’s into their first final of the Munster League Champions Cup after the overcame Limerick Champions Carew Park on Sunday. In what was a dull uncompromising game in poor conditions, the lack of free flowing football saw this game develop into a dog fight with the ball out of play a lot in a stop start game. An early cross from Jimmy Carr saw David Grincell miss a connection near goal and a Joey Mulcahy cross sailed across the area as the Tipperary side took the early initiative. At the other end Mark McGrath’s snap shot went straight at Aaron Wall, while Kieran Hanlon won a corner for Carew but his two shots from distance went well wide of goal. Midway through the half, the ball fell kindly for David Grincell but when through on goal he elected to round Brian Collopy and the chance was lost, with Russell Quirke’s follow shot flying over the bar. This was symptomatic of the first half and both sides went to the break scoreless. The second half followed much the same pattern as the first with the visitors having the best of what little half chances that arose in the game. Shortly after the hour mark Jimmy Carr looked about to score following good approach play but Collopy managed to smother his shot and James Walsh headed over the bar from the resultant corner kick. Hanlon again fired over the bar at the other end as Park showed that despite the pressure from the Saint’s there was still a very dangerous sting in the Limerick tail that had to be worried about. But the game did look like it was petering out into a dull draw until seven minutes from the end, Quirke sent in a beautifully flighted corner kick which hung invitingly in the air for Chalkie Walsh to head home at the far post. After this the Tipperary side Saints killed the game in the corners and played out the remaining minutes to qualify for the final against Abbeyfeale Utd of the Limerick Desmond League.

Paddy Purtill Cup 1st Round   

27th November 2016

Cullen Lattin 3 – 5 Redmondstown

Relegated from the First Division last season, but tearing up the Second this year, Lattin Cullen were given a taste of what things may be like should they regain automatic promotion when they went down to Redmondstown at home on Sunday. In a game with plenty of goals the home side raced into a two goal lead with strikes from Tony Lowry and Timmy Heffernan which they held till half time. However the visitors got back into the game with a goal by Brendan Boland ten minutes after the restart and then broke the home sides hearts with an equaliser almost on the stroke of full time, after Eric Smith forced home from close range. Completely deflated by this, the home side coughed up two more goals in quick succession in the extra period that were scored by Boland again and Kyle Ryan, but Cullen made a stab at getting back in the game when they reduced the deficit to the minimum with three minutes left. However in chasing an equaliser they left themselves open to the counter and that was what happened when the Clonmel side broke away and put the game to bed with a goal by Smith for his second and his sides fifth.

Kilsheelan United 3 – 4 Cahir Park (AET)

This was a cracking game between the two First Division sides with the visitors eventually coming through in a seven goal thriller. The home side have been having a terrible run of form of late but they came out in positive mood in this game and were unlucky not to be already in front before Kevin Kirwan beat the keeper just before the break with a shot at the near post to give them the lead. The home side continued to create chance after chance in the second period but just could not add to the lead and were punished fifteen minutes from time when the visitors were awarded a penalty that James Darcy slotted home. It was end to end stuff now and twelve minutes from time United regained the lead when Eddie Sweeny headed home. This looked like it was going to take his side through but deep into injury time Cahir were awarded a free kick and Stephen Burke headed home to send the game to extra time. The visitors finally took the lead for the first time four minutes into the added period when Burke got his second in five minutes but three minutes later Kilsheelan had restored parity with a Michael Lacey volley. Then just as the game looked like it was heading for the dreaded penalty shootout the Park broke the home sides hearts when Alan O Donoghue managed to find a tiny bit of space in the area and whip home a last minute winner.

Vee Rovers 2 – 0 Moyglass United

Vee Rovers seem to have gone through a revival of late when they scored their second win in three games after a disastrous start to the season, to put themselves into the quarter final of this year’s Paddy Purtill Cup. They dominated the early exchanges here but were unable to break down a stubborn Moyglass resistance. That couldn’t last all day however and seventeen minutes before time Ronan O Dwyer headed home a cross to put Rovers into the lead. This forced Moyglass to open up in attack but that just left space in behind and this was exploited when Warren O Brien got his sides second to wrap up the tie.

Premier League

27th November

Peake Villa 1 – 1 Clonmel Celtic

After climbing back to the summit of the Premier League last weekend and giving themselves a chance of getting right back into the title race, Clonmel Celtic came a cropper again in Thurles at the weekend to a fast improving young Peake Villa side. The home team were the better early on and had sporadic chances of opening the scoring, before the visitors finally did so when Evan Maguire headed home unmarked at the far post. The ead was short lived however when one of Villa’s young starlets twisted and turned his way to behind the Celtic defence and they could only stop him by fouling and conceding a penalty kick. Pippy Carroll stepped up and made no mistake, bringing the side level in the twenty fourth minute. After that there were very few clear chances in the rest of the half and that pattern continued in the second half. By the end both teams looked like a pair of heavy handed boxers who looked like they could stand and fight all day, without ever threatening to land a knockout punch and the points were shared.

Tipperary Town 2 – 0 Old Bridge

The home side left it late here to secure three points that will likely ensure their Premier League status for this year after looking at the results elsewhere in the division over the weekend. Both teams found the going hard and while the game was tough and uncompromising, neither side fashioned anything that looked like it deserved to decide a tie of this importance until ten minutes before the end of the game. That was when super sub Barry O Dwyer who hadn’t been long on the field headed home a cross after Donagh Leahy had lead the Clonmel defenders a merry dance on the wing. Five minutes from time Town wrapped up all three points when a Mark Roche shot completely deceived the keeper leaving him flat footed as he watched the ball roll past him helplessly. The win pushed Tipp Town ahead of their opponents and fighting now for a top four spot as they slaowly but surely change the order in one of Tipperary’s must historical soccer towns.

Cashel Town 2 – 6 Clonmel Town

A slow start to this game was Cashel’s undoing and the visitors punished them accordingly when they opened up a three goal lead inside the first quarter of an hour through goals from Shane O’Meara, Aidan McGrath and Jason Hahessy. Still shell shocked the home side did well to get to halftime with the score at just that as the visitors were completely dominant for the rest of the half. That said, the home side emerged a different outfit after halftime and got themselves back in the game five minutes in when James Harding fired home. Their comeback gathered further momentum when Mikey McDermott made it a single goal game on the hour mark after a scramble in the area was poked home. But after being in control of the game at this point the home side self-imploded when they didn’t pick up Keith Cashman at the edge of the area and he thundered a shot home. They then gave away a penalty kick which hit both posts before coming back out, and instead of profiting from their fortune they were unable to clear their lines and Shane O’Meara made it five.  Aiden Mc Grath rounded off the scoring with five minutes left pushing the Clonmel side back to the top of the league ad Cashel anxiously looking over their shoulder lest they get drawn back into a relegation dog fight.

Galbally United 1 – 5 Two Mile Borris

Barring a miracle the home side look like they are heading straight back down to the First Division after last year’s promotion as they went down to fellow strugglers Two Mile Borris in Galbally on Sunday. United were on the back foot right from the start of the game and were a goal behind after only two minutes when Tommy Teer struck the opening goal. The rest of the half was a tight affair played out in the middle of the pitch with no further goals. However the slow start that afflicted Galbally in the first period returned in the second and two minutes in again they conceded this time to Fiachra Mc Carthy. At third goal on the hour mark by Jack Cleary threatened to turn the game into a rout but evergreen Quinn Perry pulled a goal back five minutes later to at least offer some piece of resistance. It was never going to be enough though and two more goals near the end of the game from William and Richard Mc Carthy wrapped up all three precious points for Borris as they continue to try to defy the odds and stay up for the third season in a row.

First Division

27th November

St Michael’s 2 -3 St Nicholas

The battle of the Saint’s in West Tipperary finished with underdogs St Nicholas getting one over on their more illustrious neighbours in a game played in good spirits on Sunday morning. Poor finishing cost Saints here and a late penalty miss cost them a point, but overall the visitors were happy with their win. Darren Stokes gave the visitors an early lead but Saints fought back and John Carew equalised in the twenty first minute. Elliot Thompson for the home side had a shot blocked by a defender on twenty five minutes, and his side had a let off a minute later when Calum Fanning saved well. The visitors went back in front somewhat against the run of play when poor marking saw Philip O’ Doherty poke the ball home following a corner kick three minutes before the break and they kept this lead to the tea. The home side were sloppy again defensively three minutes into the second period Stokes was allowed waltz in from the wing and pass to the net to make it three goals to one. John Carew and Ger Browne both went close twice as St Nicholas retreated into defence and lost goalie Chris Ryan to injury with Eoin Riordan going into goal. Saints had territory but the final ball was poor and when Brian Lowry saw his seventy eight minute penalty saved by the stand in keeper it was obvious is was going to be the away sides day. A final minute goal by Nicky Cummins when he nodded home a rebound following a Ger Browne shot was only a consolation goal and the points went to the visitors.

Division 2

27th November

Burncourt Celtic 1 – 1 Cashel Town

All the action in this game happened in the first half on a dull dank day in Burncourt. Both teams came out trying to manufacture some good football and the home team looked like they had a breakthrough after only five minutes when they had the ball in the net, only to see it disallowed for a foul on the visiting keeper. They did continue to attack however and were rewarded in the twentieth minute when they took the lead through a Dylan O Gorman effort from outside the area. The lead only lasted ten minutes though, as Cashel took full advantage of a defensive mix up and saw Paulius Aleknavicius hit the target for the second week in a row. Things seemed pretty even after this, but Cashel went down to ten men shortly before the break when they lost a player to a second bookable offence. This changed their tactics for the second period into a much more defensive set up and try as they might the home team were unable to break them down, with a share of the spoils being the final result.


Mullinahone 1 – 4 Wilderness Rovers

Mullinahone enjoyed a remarkable season last year on their return to the TSDL after a five year absence, but are now finding going much more difficult the Second division. This was their third defeat in a row after a bright start to the season as their promotion hopes are beginning to slowly fade in the winter light. The visitors opened the scoring with  a powerful headed goal by Robert Buckley from a corner kick, and David Grace put them two up midway through the half. However the home side didn’t just roll over and a fine header from Enda Mc Enery narrowed the gap to one goal at half time. In the second period though the visitors showed that they are now beginning to build up a head of steam themselves with further goals from Thomas Kennedy and Kyle Kennedy resulting in all three points going to the Clonmel side.

Donohill and District 4 – 2 Slieveardagh United

 This is one of the longest trips for any side to make in the TSDL when the Ballingarry side travel to Donohill, but it also makes for an entertaining tie, and Sunday’s game didn’t disappoint the small but vocal crowd at the game. Both teams were playing positive football with the visitors having the better of the play and they went to the break two goals to the good and looking good value for a long distance win. Whatever was said in the Donohill dressing room over the tea had the desired effect and they came back out for the second half in a much more determined frame of mind. Ten minutes in they got the first goal back when Dessie Ryan finished well from just inside the area. Shortly afterwards Jerry O Neill rattled the cross bar and Dinny Crosse was first to react bundling the ball home from close in. Back on level terms now, the home side were determined to press home their new found energy and took the lead fifteen minutes from time when the effervescent Crosse squared to Jamie Tierney for the simplest of finishes. They applied the coup de grace five minutes before time when O Neill cut the visiting defence open with a wonderful pass and Kevin Browne side footed to the net from an acute angle to complete the comeback and take all the points.

Division 3

27th November  

Tipperary Town 2 – 2 Bansha Celtic

This will probably go down as two points dropped by the home side as they chase promotion when they only managed a draw against bottom side and neighbours Bansha Celtic. It didn’t look like that early on however as the home side opened the scoring after only two minutes when James Scanlon headed home a Mark Flannery cross. However the visitors were in no mood to lie down and were level ten minutes before the break courtesy of a Shane Ferris volley. They shocked the home side five minutes into the second period when they went in front with a Sean Daly goal after an error in the home defence, and looked like they might take this all the way to the end until they were forced into giving up an own goal ten minutes from time, and accept a share of the spoils.

Peake Villa 4 – 2 Killenaule Rovers

With their closest rivals dropping points Peake Villa’s seconds managed to stretch their lead with a win by four goals to two against mid table Killenaule Rovers. The home sides goals came courtesy of a Ronan Maguire hat trick with a Davy Mahoney fourth, while Conor Sinnott managed a brace of goals to no avail in return for the visitors.

About James Kirwan

Leave a Reply