Home / NTDL / News / Roscrea Pay The Penalty As Clough Advance

Roscrea Pay The Penalty As Clough Advance

Roscrea Town bowed out of the Premier Division Shield this evening after ending up on the losing side of a 2-1 scoreline against Cloughjordan Fc in Villa Park.

In what was a very scrappy affair the first attempt came after 10mins when a corner found its way to the edge of the box and Town’s Ray Mc Nicholas shot from twenty yards only to be thwarted by an excellent save from Jason Ryan in the Clough goal. The deadline was broken on 14mins when Ger Corcoran looked to get onto a long ball and after he touched it Referee Tommy Lynch deemed John Cordial to have fouled the forward inside the box with a mixed reaction from the crowd. Dean O’Meara confidently stepped up and calmly placed it to the right of Stephen Byrne in the goal. Two minutes later Roscrea should have equalised when a corner from Eoin Moloney was met by Mc Nicholas only for Ryan to be in the way again and Cordial couldn’t capitalise on the rebound. On 20mins Roscrea suffer a major setback as a long back pass put Byrne under pressure and he took Corcoran down for what was a clear cut penalty, a penalty which was a carbon copy of the first as O’Meara placed the ball again to Byrnes right to double his sides lead. On 30mins Jason Ryan was again called into action as the ball found its way to John Pio Fitzpatrick from a Craig Phelan cross and his shot was excellently fingertipped over the bar, a touch that the referee missed as a goal kick was given. On 33 mins Roscrea were denied a penalty after what looked like a clear handball was waved away by the referee.

The second half started very slowly as both teams battled hard in midfield but on 66mins a short corner from Brian Franks landed at Phelans feet and his cross was met by the unmarked Shane Moloney who really should have done better but he missed the target. On 70mins Clough had a chance to end the games as Kevin Kennedy twisted and turned O’Lone and his shot graze the bar. Roscrea nearly managed to set up a grandstand finish as a Franks Corner was met by Fitzpatrick who’s header hit the post and went wide. Roscrea were eventually given a chance of a consolation after a handball in injury time seen Referee Lynch point to the spot for the third time. Craig Byrne stepped up and made no mistake sending Ryan the wrong way.

A scrappy game at which Cloughjordan dominated in midfield and in particular Dean O’Meara looked menacing up front. Stoppagetime.ie Man of the Match though goes to Jason Ryan who looked calm throughout and his saves guarenteed his sides passage through to the semi final.

Referee Watch: Tommy Lynch 6.5/10

Not an easy game to officiate, did well to stop tackles from getting out of hand but that missed handball could have had a huge bearing on the game. Did well otherwise.

About James Kirwan

Leave a Reply