Home / NTDL / News / Last Minute Harps Keep FAI Dream Alive

Last Minute Harps Keep FAI Dream Alive

FAI Junior Cup 2nd Round

BT Harps 3

Glengoole Utd 2

BT Harps and Glengoole Utd served up a cracking game in Priory Place on Sunday last as the former ran out three-two winners, with the decisive goal coming deep into injury time by Aidan Fogarty. Stephen Nolan had earlier smashed home two speculative efforts for the home side but Stephen Holohan twice brought the TSDL outfit back to level terms.

Both sides started the game in nervy fashion but it was the away side that got the first chance inside the opening fifteen minutes as Danny Rafter found space in the box but Kuba Beben was equal to his effort in the Harps goal as he smothered the ball brilliantly. Harps would take the lead however on the twenty-minute mark as Lyndon Fairbrother won the ball in the Glengoole half, he then laid the ball off for Nolan who in turn struck a venomous effort from some thirty yards and the ball sailed into the top corner leaving Paul Hanrahan with no chance.

Harps might have doubled their lead five minutes later but Eanna McBride was ruled offside after putting the ball into the back of the net. Harps would then orchestrate their own downfall ten minutes later when they conceded a corner they didn’t really have to and then failed to clear it, Stephen Holohan was on hand to bury the ball into the net much to the joy of the away support.

Harps were dealt another blow two minutes later when the impressive McBride again found the net but like the first time he was adjudged to be offside. Harps would regain the lead two minutes from halftime however as Nolan again found space some thirty yards out and again he tried his luck, his fierce effort completely fooled Hanrahan and the ball nestled into the bottom corner to send Harps into the break with a slender one goal lead.

The second half was a much quieter affair and Harps should have ended the game after only eight minutes as super play from McBride down the left found Fairbrother and his brilliant square ball found David O’Shea but his shot blazed over the crossbar when really, he should have scored. Harps were made to rue that chance fifteen minutes later when a fine save from Beben fell at the feet of the very grateful Holohan who tapped home his second of the game to level proceedings for the second time.

The game was on a knife edge thereafter with both sides refusing to take chances going forward. Harps however, would grab the winner two minutes into injury time as a Cathal Scully free kick found the head of Johnny Coleman but his header was parried by Hanrahan and substitute Aidan Fogarty was on hand to tap the ball home and in the process, send his side into the third round of the FAI Junior Cup.

About James Kirwan

Leave a Reply