Home / NTDL / News / Gurta Win Nine Goal Thriller In Tipp Cup

Gurta Win Nine Goal Thriller In Tipp Cup

NT&DL Tipperary Cup 2nd Round

Portumna Town 4-5 Gurtagarry Fc AET

Portumna Town and Gurtagarry Fc produced one of the games of the season as the Division 1 side ran out winners by the odd goal in nine after extra time.

Gurta took the lead after twelve minutes when Jake Ryan pounced on a deflected ball and calmly slotted the ball into the right-hand corner of the net. Gurta would double their lead thirteen minutes later when Paul Ryan burst into the area and slotted the ball home. Portumna tried to keep their heads up and passed the ball around well and seen some half chances thwarted by Brendan Hayes in the Gurta goal. Gurta then made it three however, when Paul Ryan again found himself through on goal and he eloquently chipped the ball over Josh Gaynor in the Portumna goal.

In a game that looked like it was over a half time Portumna would again show their never say die attitude as they looked to take the game to their opponents but they were again dealt a blow as the away side were awarded a penalty, Gaynor saved brilliantly and again from a Joey McLoughlin follow up. Town pulled one back soon after as Garry Curran was on hand to poke home after a fantastic double save from Brendan Hayes in the Gurta goal.

Town might have thought their luck wasn’t with them today as a Garry Curran header rebounded off the post on the hour mark. They did half the arrears five minutes later as a sublime Darragh Barry through ball found Ramy O’Hara and his left foot shot found the bottom corner leaving Haye with no chance. Town completed the comeback ten minutes from time when Curran was felled in the area and referee Naoise Lawlor pointed to the spot, Curran dusted himself off and neatly converted the penalty to send the game into extra time.

Gurta came out for extra time the quickest and found themselves a goal ahead in the first minutes as Josh McCarthy’s solid strike was strong enough to beat Gaynor. Town however would not give up and equalised four minutes later as Hayes parried a Curran shot but only as far as Ger Ward who tapped the ball into the net.

Gurtagarry were surely wondering what they had to do to put Town away but only a minute later Josh McCarthy was on hand to score what turned out to be the winner for the away side.

About James Kirwan

Leave a Reply