Home / NTDL / News / Clinical Crumlin Oust Thurles

Clinical Crumlin Oust Thurles

FAI Junior Cup 6th Round 
Crumlin Utd 4
David Bracken 13′
Glen Fulham 17′
Ian Tuohy 20′ 
Ronan Hanaphey 70′
Thurles Town 1
Micky Comerford 30′
Thurles Town’s FAI Junior Cup dream came to a halt today as they were beaten by a clinical Crumlin Utd side by four goals to one in Pearse Park.
In truth it was always going to be a tough game for the North Tipperary side but they started the game on the front foot and after a lot of pressing they were unlucky not to go ahead when a Micky Comerford free kick rebounded off the under side of the crossbar on the ninth minute. Town continued to press but then on a swift counter attack on the thirteenth minute United broke the deadlock when a swift move down the right and a fine cross by Ronan Hanaphey found David Bracken in the box and his inch perfect header left Loughman with no chance in the Town goal. Things went from bad to worse on the seventh minute for Town when so lacklustre defending seen Glenn Fulhams deflected shot go agonisingly past Loughman and into the net to make it two nil. Just when Town thought the worst was behind them it wasn’t, Ian Tuohy ran across the middle of the Town defence and his shot was again deflected past the helpless Loughman to make it three nil on 23 minutes.
Town from here could either lie down or fight back and fight back they did on twenty six minutes with the ball bouncing around the United box Barry Ryan headed the ball towards the goal only to see it saved off the line by the Crumlin defender. Town would again go close a minute later when a Micky Comerford corner was met by Paul Kirwan but his header went over the bar when in truth it should have been on target. Thurles continued to press and got their just desserts when a fine Micheal Foley pass found Kirwan and he was in turned fouled amon the edge of the area, Micky Comerford stepped up and his fine free kick went to the keepers side and into the net with the keeper wrongfooted and Thurles were well and truly back in the game. Thurles continued to push forward but nearly got caught out on the thirty ninth minute when Tuohy’s shot from the edge of the area was saved well by Loughman.
The half ended 3-1 to the home side and big second half was expected with the same intensity of the first but that was not to be. The second half started as a scrappy affair  with Crumlin managing the game well with the referee forced to break the game because of some poor tackling. The game continued in that vein throughout with both teams giving it their all and the on sixty five minutes their was two red in two minutes. These red cards seemed to open the game up in Uniteds favour and on seventy minutes the game was ended as a contest when a ball in from the left seen Hanaphey in space and his first time volley hit the left hand corner in what was most definitely the goal of the game.
United continued to push after this and a combination of good defending, good goalkeeping and poor finishing ensured that the game would end 4-1 to the Dubliners. Town will now settheir sights on a trip to Clare next weekend as they face Shannon Hibs in the last 32 of the Munster Junior Cup.
In a game that had everything the scoreline was perhaps a bit flattering but the win was deserved for Crumlin. Michael Foley, Graeme Loughman, Aaron Ryan and Micky Comerford were the best on the day for Thurles whilst Ronan Hanaphey was a constant threat for United aswell as Bracken and Tuohy but the stoppagetime.ie Man Of The Match goes to Brian Mooney of Crumlin, he dictated play from start to finish.
The initial reaction from Noel Byrne is that his side were unlucky as the deflections went Utd’s way whilst their own chances refused to find the net. Byrne went on to say that his side will take a lot of positives from the game and that their main goal is the NT&DL Premier Division this season and they have one hand on that elusive trophy already.
Stoppagetime.ie would like to thank both teams, the Crumlin Utd committee and the referees for allowing us to stream the game live, we hope their can be much more of those going forward. A special mention to Coppingers Bar in Thurleswho showed the game live on the big screen today and they will also be showing the Peake Villa vs Cherry Orchard game tomorrow also.

About James Kirwan

Leave a Reply